Wait a moment - is that really essential?
A student, taking part in a science fair, wanted to show how conditioned people have become to believing the worst about trends in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of a certain common chemical. And for plenty of good reasons:
1. It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. It is a major component of acid rain
3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. Accidental inhalation can kill you
5. It contributes to erosion
6. It decreases effectiveness of vehicle brakes
7. It has been found in tumours of terminal cancer.
He asked fifty people if they supported a ban of this chemical, named dihydrogen monoxide. Forty-three said yes and six were undecided. Only one knew that dihydrogen monoxide was in fact H2O (water).
Thanks to my friend Chris for this!
I'm told that the idea originally comes from Penn and Teller's TV show and they got hundreds of people to sign the petition. Save the Planet! Ban water.